Laurie Canter is eyeing a maiden European Tour title after adding a second-round 68 to his spectacular opening 12-under 60 to keep the lead at the halfway stage of the Italian Open on Friday.
At 16 under, the Englishman leads by two from compatriot Ross McGowan, with South Africa’s Dean Burmester two shots further back in third.
“You can’t take your foot off around here, the scoring is going to be good, (and) a lot of good players behind,” Canter said.
He got off to a flying start on a gloomy day in Brescia, with three birdies in the first four holes. Another birdie at the ninth looked like setting him up to establish a commanding lead, but after a poor tee shot at the 11th led to a bogey, he lost his momentum before birdieing the last.
McGowan reeled off eight birdies in a flawless 64.
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — Adam Scott tested positive for COVID-19 at the Zozo Championship and withdrew from the tournament Wednesday, as required by PGA Tour protocols.
Scott, the 2013 Masters champion who won the Genesis Invitational earlier this year, was replaced in the field by Jim Herman.
“While it’s difficult news to receive — as I really looked forward to playing this week — my focus now is on recovery for the final stretch of the fall,” Scott said in a statement.
No. 1-ranked Dustin Johnson withdrew from this week’s tournament after testing positive prior to the CJ Cup in Las Vegas last week.
According to the PGA Tour, Scott is the 15th player to test positive since the tour returned in June following a 13-week shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic. This is the 19th consecutive week of tournaments since the return.
Scott, ranked 15th in the world, has played just four times since the tour’s restart, his last event a tie for 38th at the U.S. Open.
After the shutdown, Scott returned to his native Australia and said in May when the tour was planning to come back that he did not feel comfortable with the protocols.
“They are being fairly thorough, but my initial reaction was I was surprised it wasn’t tighter than it is,” Scott told AAP in May. “What concerns me is dialogue that [the tour] is hopeful of returning one- or two-hour test [results]. You’d want that in place before competing.
“The other [concern] is it seems as an asymptomatic person could operate within a tournament. If they’re not showing symptoms and I somehow pick it up inside the course and I’m disqualified, I’m not self-isolating [in that city] for two weeks. I’d be annoyed if that happened.
“I thought you’d start quite tight and loosen those protocols to normal, if appropriate.”
The tour has since altered some of those rules, including allowing a player to travel 10 days after the start of symptoms.
Tiger Woods‘ annual Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The 18-man tournament that benefits Woods’ foundation was scheduled for Dec. 3-6 at Albany Golf Club in the Bahamas, where the event has been played since 2015.
Woods’ agent, Mark Steinberg, said there were some discussions about playing the tournament in Florida but that a bigger issue was the contingent of Hero MotoCorp executives and guests traveling from the company’s base in India.
“Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year,” the PGA Tour said in a statement Monday. “This decision was made with the health and well-being of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind. We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year.”
The Hero tournament is not official, but it is part of the PGA Tour’s schedule. Since the return to play following a 13-week break because of the pandemic, only one other event was canceled — the John Deere Classic. That event was replaced on the schedule by the Workday Charity Open, which was played in July at Columbus, Ohio, the week prior to the Memorial Tournament.
During the week of the Hero tournament, another official PGA Tour event is scheduled, the Mayakoba Classic. That is the last official event until January, when the tour schedule resumes with the Sentry Tournament of Champions in Hawaii.
Charles Barkley will partner with Mickelson in a match against Stephen Curry and Peyton Manning on Nov. 27 at Stone Canyon Golf Club in Arizona.
Called Capital One’s The Match: Champions for Change, the format will be modified alternate shot and will begin at 3 p.m. ET the day after Thanksgiving. The event will be televised by Turner Sports on TNT.
Mickelson and Woods staged a high-profile match two years ago in Las Vegas, with Mickelson emerging as a $9 million winner.
They joined forces again in May with Manning and Tom Brady in a match that raised more than $10 million for coronavirus relief efforts.
Proceeds for this November’s match will go to historically Black colleges and universities.
“While we may need a handicap for Chuck, I’m looking forward to playing with Peyton and Stephen and to help raise money for another important cause,” Mickelson said in a statement. “It’s also going to give fans and viewers an up-close look at Stone Canyon Golf Club, a place that I’m extremely proud of and excited to show how special it is.”
NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nev. — Jason Day withdrew on the second hole of the final round Sunday at the CJ Cup with a neck injury.
Day was in the penultimate group at Shadow Creek after a 66 left him in the group 5 shots out of the lead. The former world No. 1 was trying to end more than two years without a victory.
The PGA Tour did not offer details on his injury. Day took a triple bogey on the opening hole when he pulled his approach from the right rough into the water. He pulled his next full shot on the par-4 second hole and withdrew after hitting his second shot.
Day, 32, has a history of nagging injuries in the back and neck area. This is the third time in the past six years he has withdrawn on the weekend. He is in the field for the Zozo Championship next week in California.